Dear MHCO Volunteer,
Greetings and happy Valentine’s from Mennonite Home Communities of Ohio!
I am so pleased to reach out to you to thank you for your volunteer participation with MHCO. My goal today is to share a brief update on MHCO and some specifics in relation to MHCO’s Volunteer Program as we look to the future.
Staffing transitions of MHCO Leadership and Volunteer program team members
- Daren Lee was named Acting COO, December 28th, 2020. The MHCO Board of Directors established a new role of Acting Chief Operating Officer, which Mr. Lee will be filling. The Board has appreciated Daren’s leadership during these challenging times, and this has led them to recognize this role in a more formal appointment.
- Jessica Strahm resigned from the Volunteer Coordinator position. The Volunteer Coordinator position will remain unfilled until the volunteer program is able to normalize. Questions regarding volunteer activity at MHCO should be directed to Chris Moser or the Activities Director at the specific campus. (see contact information below)
- Debbie Mohr resigned from the Life Enrichment Coordinator position at Maple Crest. Joan LoBianco is filling that position until further notice.
- Dee Steffen and Barb Gossard continue in their responsibilities as Activities Director at Hilty and MMH, respectively.
MHCO Volunteer Hours:
Below is a summary of people and hours served in recent years. Please know that you were dearly missed by elders and staff. You make our campuses come alive with energy and vitality.
Year People: Hours YTD
2018 327 8630
2019 569 9299
2020 232 3857
MHCO Volunteer Updates
- In 2020, we saw a significant decrease of volunteer hours. Reductions ranged from a 50% decrease at MMH to a 94% decrease in hours at Willow Ridge. The only area that showed an increase in volunteer hours was by the MHCO board members.
- MHCO worked with CVS to provide vaccines for nursing and assisted living residents and staff. The program is nearly complete. MHCO is pleased to have been on the forefront of this effort.
- The Center for Medicare and Medicaid has not changed its existing policy for visitations. Currently MHCO is limited to essential personnel on campuses. This means volunteers are not yet allowed on MHCO campuses other than the few volunteers who pick up meals for Our Daily Bread Mobile Meal delivery in Bluffton and Pandora.
- Volunteer opportunities inside of MHCO buildings continues to be suspended. Any changes to this will be communicated to you by email or by a posting on our MHCO website.
- As the weather improves some volunteer activities will be made available outside. If you would like to volunteer for any outdoor volunteer activity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be included on an email distribution list of opportunities.
- The annual April volunteer dinner will be postponed until further notice. If conditions improve over the Summer/early Fall, we will consider something at that point. We will keep you informed by email.
- If you know a MHCO volunteer who did not get this email, please share with them, and encourage them to send their name, address, and email to email@example.com. Most future communication with volunteers will be done via email or posted to MHCO campuses.
- To stay informed about MHCO visitation and happenings concerning COVID -19 please see our website. COVID-19 Updates – Mennonite Home Communities of Ohio (mhcoliving.org)
Contacts for Volunteer programs and Activities
- Hilty Home – Dee Steffen 419-384-3218 ext. 229 email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- MMH/Willow Ridge – Barb Gossard 419-358-1015 ext. 226 Email – email@example.com
- Maple Crest –Joan LoBianco 419-358-1015 ext. 102 Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- MHCO Chris Moser 419-358-1015 ext. 263 Email – email@example.com
Again, thank you for the many ways you support MHCO and the Elders we serve during these challenging times. I wish you the best during the coming days with cold and snowy weather. Be well and may God continue to bless you and your loved ones as we adapt to new and changing times.
Director of Resource Development and Church Relations