Through prayer, time & talent, wisdom and financial support, there are many ways individuals and organizations support our mission at Mennonite Home Communities of Ohio. Our rich heritage and decades-old reputation of providing quality care comes from this support and community involvement. For all you do, we say “thank you” and invite you to help us continue this tradition.
“We pledge our continued support of MHCO for both its purpose and its promise: its purpose in serving the current needs of the elders in our community, and the comfort of its promise to serve our future needs.”
–Romaine & Don Pannabecker, community members
Brighter Lives Campaign
The Brighter Lives Annual Campaign is an important source of funds that support capital projects, activities and programs that enhance the lives of the elders and children who are part of Mennonite Home Communities of Ohio. Over $282,000 has been contributed to Brighter Lives since 2014.
Some of the funds have been used to:
- Purchase furniture and equipment to complete renovations at Mennonite Memorial Home and Maple Crest.
- Renovate “Riverview”, the Special Needs Unit at Hilty Home.
- Provide an Education Fund for staff to attend workshops and conferences that expand their knowledge and skills regarding person-centered care.
- Support the benevolent care fund, which helps cover the cost of care for clients without the ability to pay privately and without access to other sources of funds.
“As a community partner, we feel it is very important to invest in our local community. Mennonite Home Communities of Ohio’s Brighter Lives Campaign is an extension of that vision and assists in providing quality, compassionate care to our area seniors. We thank Mennonite Home for their commitment to our community.”
–Todd Mason, President/CEO First National Bank
Planned Giving to MHCO
For three years, MHCO received a gift of $1,000 at Christmas-time from Frieda Basinger with the instruction, “Make the elders’ lives brighter!” When Frieda died in 2009, we learned that we were the recipients of one-half of her and her late husband, James’, estate. Today, Frieda House, one of two Green House Homes, honors her spirit of generosity and commitment to the Bluffton community.
Frieda’s example of generosity, charity and intentional planning will continue to make elders’ lives brighter for many years to come. Your planned gift, whether an annual commitment of $100, an annuity, or naming MHCO as a recipient of a portion of your estate, has a lasting impact on our elders.
Examples of Planned Giving include:
- Will/Estate Gift/Retirement Plan: Name MHCO as a beneficiary of a portion of your estate or IRA.
- Charitable Gift Annuity: This provides life income for yourself while providing an immediate tax benefit and a gift to MHCO in the future.
- Appreciated Assets: MHCO is able to receive gifts of appreciated stock, property or other securities, which also have tax benefits for the donor.
- IRA Distributions: The donation of required distributions from an IRA is a win-win for donor and MHCO.
- Corporate Matching Gifts: Some businesses match employee gifts. Check with your employer.
The items below have been placed on a “Wish List” by residents and staff members. You can direct your tax-deductible contribution to the General Fund or toward a specific purpose, such as something on the Wish Lists.
Mennonite Memorial Home and Hilty Home
- Aviary Supplies – $1,000 quarterly
Aviaries soothe and bring smiles to faces of our residents and their families. Cleaning, supplies, replacement birds included to keep the birds chirping and nesting.
Mennonite Memorial Home
- Minivan w/Wheelchair Lift – $55,000
Allow family members to transport elders to appointments or for family visits when available.
- Gently Used Large Print Books or Funds to Purchase New Large Print Books
Interest to increase book selection.
- Two new Christmas trees ($250 each) and Christmas decorations ($425 assorted items)
After years of use, our Christmas trees and some decorations need to be replaced.
- Funds to purchase DVD’s of older movies ($1,500)
People enjoy watching movies that provide great entertainment and meaningful memories. Our VHS tapes need to be changed to DVD’s.
- Jointer for the resident wood workshop (approx. $750)
A new addition to improve the woodworking program.
- 55″ TV for patio room (approx. $850)
Great for watching movies and presentations and movies in larger groups
- Recliner Lift Chairs ($700/each, 4 needed)
These chairs allow for greater independence and mobility for elders
- Outdoor benches ($800 each, 2 needed)
Multiple sitting spaces allow elders to enjoy the outdoors in a variety of settings
- Three new Christmas trees ($160 each)
After years of use, our Christmas trees need to be replaced
- Three DVD players ($80 each)
People enjoy watching movies that provide great entertainment and meaningful memories
- NuStep cross trainer
Allow for meaningful exercise for elders at Frieda House
As a 501 © 3 organization, all contributions to MHCO are tax deductible to the extent allowed by the IRS. To learn more about how your planned gift can support our commitment to serving elders and children, please contact Chris Moser, Director of Resource Development and Church Relations at 419.358.1015, ext. 263 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.